Poison Ivy, Oak and Sumac
Poison ivy and poison oak both have 3 leaves per stem. Poison ivy leaves often are shiny. You may have heard the saying, “Leaflets three, let them be.”
Poison oak usually turns red in the fall and leaves may more resemble that of an Oak tree leaf.
Poison sumac has 7 to 11 leaflets.
- Remove all clothes and shoes that have touched the plant and wash in hot water with plenty of detergent.
- Take a cold shower, soak the affected area in cold water. Use soap when you shower.
- Do not share towels with an affected person.
- For itch relief, use an over-the-counter antihistamine, such as Calamine lotion or Benadryl.
- For weeping blisters, mix 2 teaspoons of baking soda in 4 cups of water. Dip gauze squares in solution and cover the blisters for 10 minutes, 4 times a day. Do not apply this procedure to eyes.
- Wash all affected clothes and shoes with hot water and a strong soap. Bathe pets that have come in contact with the plant. The sap can stay on pets for many days. Clean items used to wash clothing and pets. Wear rubber gloves when you do all these things.
- Do not scratch or rub the rash.
If any of these 3 plants have been ingested, get immediate emergency treatment, or call 911
Presented by www.PatchUpKit.com ..supporting safety and wellness for you, friends and family!