Protect your Home and Family With This Checklist
The National Safety Council recommends this home ‘fire safety’ checklist to insure your home is safe and fire hazard free:
Check electrical appliances for loose or frayed cords. Do not place wires under rugs.
Check for outlets overloaded with plugs; including TV, computer, stereo, and printer.
Use the correct bulb wattage for home light fixtures.
If any appliances spark, smell unusual or overheat, replace or get repaired by a professional.
Lamps and nightlights should not touch any fabrics (bedspreads, drapes, etc.).
Electrical blankets should be unplugged when not in use. Check for frayed or loose cords and any odd smell. If a problem is detected, replace.
Supervise children around the stove and microwave.
Perform annual inspection of furnace or heating system.
Candles (and matches) should be out of reach of children and pets, curtains and furniture. Never leave candles unattended.
o Keep out of walking paths.
o Keep away from children and pets.
o Placed away from beds.
o Newspapers, magazines, and any fabrics, including curtains, sheets, tablecloths, should never be within 3 feet of a space heater.
o Unplug when not in use.
In the kitchen
o Keep an eye on appliances when in use.
o Make sure appliances are turned off and unplugged when not in use.
o When using pots and pans, use the rear burners and turn the handles inwards.
o Do not wear loose clothing while cooking.
o Keep the fire place clean.
o Cover your fireplace with a screen.
o Only burn wood. Papers and other materials can escape while burning and ignite something nearby.
o The fire should be completely extinguished before leaving the room.
o Have your chimney cleaned professionally once a year.
Test Your Knowledge
Parents and kids…learn more by taking this educational safety quiz, from FireSafetyForKids.Org
Presented By Patch Up Products LLC
Emergency, Safety and Survival Supplies
toll free: 855-979-7211